The Clean Energy Council is developing a list of lithium-based energy storage devices that meet industry best practice requirements.
Battery Assurance Program
The Clean Energy Council's Battery Assurance Program is a list of energy storage devices that meet industry best practice requirements.
Battery Safety Guide
After noting the lack of product safety standards in Australia for battery storage systems, the industry came together to develop an agreed minimum standard to work to.
The resulting Best Practice Guide and Risk Matrix have been developed by industry associations involved in renewable energy battery storage equipment, with input from energy network operators, private certification bodies and other independent stakeholder groups and individuals, as well as consumer and electrical safety regulators.
The guide only applies to lithium-based battery storage equipment and includes:
- Battery module (BM) is one or more cells linked together. May also have incorporated electronics for monitoring, charge management and/or protection. Battery modules are installed within pre-assembled battery system equipment or pre-assembled integrated battery energy storage system equipment or as part of a master/slave configuration of such equipment.
- Pre-assembled battery system (BS) is a system comprising one or more cells, modules or battery system, and auxiliary supporting equipment such as a battery management system and protective devices and any other required components as determined by the equipment manufacturer. A BS system does not include a Power Conditioning Equipment (PCE). Pre-assembled battery system equipment comes in a dedicated enclosure. The equipment is a complete package for connection to a DC bus or DC input of a PCE.
- Pre-assembled integrated battery energy storage system (BESS) is a battery energy storage system manufactured as a complete integrated package with the PCE, one or more cells, modules or battery system, protection devices, power conditioning equipment and any other required components as determined by the equipment manufacturer. Pre-assembled integrated battery energy storage system equipment is supplied in a dedicated enclosure. Integrated battery energy storage system equipment is a complete package that has AC output for connection to the electrical installation.
For more information, visit the Battery Saftey Guide website here.
Consumer guide: Purchasing battery storage
The Clean Energy Council has published this guide for consumers looking to purchase battery storage for their homes. The guide covers:
- How much do batteries cost?
- How do batteries work?
- What different types of batteries are available?
- Battery FAQs
- Choosing the right system for you
- Finding a retailer
- Installation of your battery
- Maintaining and enjoying your battery
- Safety and standards